Storm Do's and Don'ts
Storm damage can be a rather difficult thing to deal with in your home. Leave the complexities to our SERVPRO professionals, and use these helpful do's and don'ts while you wait for us to arrive on scene. These handy tips can keep you from unknowingly furthering any damage to your property:
- Wait for the "all clear" before worrying about minimizing your storm damage. Your safety should be prioritized above property safety
- Avoid entering a flooded area, unless the electricity is turned off
- Try to remove as much excess water as possible with wet-dry vacuums, mops, and towels you don't mind potentially ruining (if the water is contaminated)
- Prop up wet upholstery and pillow cushions for proper drying after you remove them from the affected area
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water. Your standard vacuum does not double as a shop vac
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place to sit and mildew. Be sure to dry any wet items as soon as you can!
- Don't leave books magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors. If left on wet surfaces, the ink can bleed and permanently stain surfaces
- Don't use any household appliances or electronics while standing on wet surfaces
Any damage to your home or business can seem daunting. If you have a few do's or don'ts in the back of your mind when a loss occurs, you will feel more in control. We make it, "like it never even happened."