Are you prepared for a House Fire?
Are we really ever prepared for a house fire? It would be hard to ever prepare ourselves mentally but we can try to have a plan in place to be as safe as we can in case of a fire.
The Red Cross has a great website for giving tips. Here are there 7 tips to be prepared.
The 7 Ways to Prepare for a Home Fire
Install the right number of smoke alarms. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year.
Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes should catch on fire.
SERVPRO is the one to call for your commercial needs.
We are committed to handling our customer's emergency needs 24/7.
In the event of a commercial loss, it is important to know in advance who you can trust to mitigate your damage in a timely and effective manner. Here are 7 reasons you should choose SERVPRO of Howard County for your commercial property's cleanup and restoration:
- 24 Hour Emergency Response. In any type of loss, whether it be due to fire, water, mold, or biohazard, timely mitigation is vital to controlling damage and recovery costs. You can count on SERVPRO’s nationwide coverage and full line of restoration services to help your company make a speedy recovery.
- Communication. SERVPRO of Howard County will keep you informed from start to finish. You’ll know what’s happening every step of the way. From the first notice of loss until the job is complete, we are dedicated to effectively communicating with property owners and managers. Jobs are documented extensively as well to ensure timely mitigation and communication with our customers.
- Reduce Recovery Time. When damage occurs in a business, it affects everyone from the owner, the managers, the employees, the tenants, and even the customers. Our team at SERVPRO of Howard County understands the importance of mitigating damage to the structure and contents in a timely manner to help reduce recovery time and lessen business interruption.
- Lower Recovery Costs. As an independent franchise ourselves, SERVPRO of Howard County understands the importance of frugality. This is why we teach our technicians to employ similar concepts when working with our customers. The following are ways that the SERVPRO System can help your business save money during mitigation:
- Emergency mitigation services help minimize your secondary damages.
- Proper restoration versus replacement of contents is less expensive.
- Faster recovery lessens loss.
- We use pre-approved pricing and procedures.
- Comprehensive clean up and restoration services help prevent further problems and potential liability risks.
- Emergency Response Profile. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company. SERVPRO of Howard County can help you plan for recovery before disaster even strikes.
- Full Line of Services. SERVPRO of Howard County are trained extensively to utilize the right equipment and supplies to handle all of your clean up needs.
Just call SERVPRO of Howard County for all your Commercial Needs. 410-465-7333. We are here for you 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Your Business and Water Damage
When we think of water damage to our business, many owners think of water damage happening from mother nature. Rain and flooding to which they have little control. So why worry about what they can't control right? The fact is that they are more likely to have water damage from things they can try to control or at least prevent.
For example; the roof is one of the most common places to cause water damage. Owners should make sure the roof is checked regularly. One inch of rain weighs about 5 pounds. This can cause a lot of strain on a roof and can lead to leaking.
Pipes and drains seem like they would be checked but most aren't checked regularly. A crack as small as an eight of an inch can dump 250 gallons of water per day.
Sprinklers are great if you have a fire but not so great if it malfunctions. Sprinklers should be checked for updates but also signs of rust or damage.
Appliances should be checked regularly ; water heaters, air conditioners, etc. can cause a lot of water damage if things break on them.
We can't stop all water damage but we can try to do as much preventative care as we can. SERVPRO of Howard County is here to help when the unexpected happens. Just give us a call 410-465-7333. We are there for your business 24/7.
Winter and Fire Safety
Heating is the second leading cause of a home fire next to cooking. We always think of candles and cooking causing fires but we need to think of being safe when we heat our home too.
Here are some safety tips:
Use your fire place safely. Always use metal or heat tempered glass screens when using a fireplace.
Never use an oven or stove top to heat your home.
Keep wood stove door closed unless adding wood or pellets or stoking the fire.
Make sure your space heater has an automatic shut off. If it tips over then it goes off.
It's always best to test your smoke alarms at least once a month.
Always remember to turn off a space heater when leaving the room or going to bed.
SERVPRO of Howard County is here to help if a fire happens in your home. Give us a call at 410-984-8520 .
Who are you going to call?
Your water damage is new; who do you call? If I were you I wouldn't call a new company, call one that's been around and has the experience your looking for.
SERVPRO has been around since 1967 with over 1500 franchises. To say SERVPRO knows " a little bit about water damage" is an understatement.
SERVPRO is an expert in water damage. Our professionals go through extensive training and certification to make sure your getting the most up to date techniques available.
SERVPRO's leadership has earned the trust of the insurance industry, homeowners, commercial property managers and even the Pentagon.
Make sure you have SERVPRO of Howard County's number for when you have a problem. We can service your loss with using SERVPRO's 40 years of knowledge and training to help you quickly recover.
Rain, rain go away or at least stay outside.
Rain is great for your yard but not to get inside your home.
Many people wake up from a rain storm to a wet basement. It may be from the foundation or could be a pipe leakage, sub pump failure. Many things could have happened and you will want to determine how it happened to get the right person out to repair.
In all the cases though you are going to want to call an expert in helping you to dry out your basement. That expert would be SERVPRO of Howard County.
We can get right to work in getting the water up , drying the structure etc. SERVPRO has the knowledge as to what can be dried and saved and what is better off being throw away.
Did you know that organic materials like paper, fabric, wood, leather can start to grow mold in as little as a day? Let SERVPRO help you save as much as possible of your things.
SERVPRO of Howard County is here to help 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
Make sure your business can come back from a disaster.
Did you know that 50% of Businesses don't re-open after suffering a disaster?
That's hard to hear if you own a business. The best thing you can do is to be prepared.
SERVPRO offers to all it's commercial clients a FREE Emergency Ready Plan. Just call SERVPRO of Howard County and one of their team will come to your business and help you prepare.
After you have this set up, getting help cleaning up and/or restoring your property is just a few clicks away.
Don't worry if your have a large business. SERVPRO has a large loss division that has the expertise to manage the cost and operations of large commercial losses.
SERVPRO is your best resource in getting it back up and running.
Disaster doesn't happen always during 9-5 hours, that's why SERVPRO is there to help 24/7 to get your business back after a disaster.
Taking a vacation? Tips before you leave.
You don't want to come home to this from a nice relaxing vacation.
We think about shutting off water lines in the winter to avoid freezing pipes when we are away but we don't think about doing the same in the summer when we go away, but we should.
Many people don't think about it but pipes leak and break all the time in the summer.
If you are going away you might want to close the main water valve off to water in the house. It won't affect your water sprinkler system outside if that may be of a concern.
Instead of thousands of gallons of water spilling in your home you might only get a few gallons. To be even safer, drain the lines before you go. Open the faucet in the bathroom after you have shut off the valves and drain the water out of the pipes and flush the toilet.
The last thing you want is to come home from a relaxing vacation to have water in your house.
Some other great things to do before you leave :
Turn the air conditioner up but not off. You want to have air circulating because the heat can affect doors and flooring and you don't want it to have time to collect condensation.
Unplug your electronics. If they are connected to a surge protector just turn that off. You will save money while your away.
Put your lights on a timer to make the house less appealing for robbers.
I hope these help. Have a great vacation and great "welcome home" from your house.
Stay ahead of mold.
When you have a flood in your home mold can start to develop in as little as 24 to 48 hours. Your going to want to start to be activewith the clean up as soon as possible. SERVPRO of Baltimore's Inner Harbor is available 24 hours a day, everyday of the year.
Here are some things you can start to do before SERVPRO arrives:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
SERVPRO uses advanced equipment and techniques to remove the water quickly and properly dry out your home or business.
Let us help you stay ahead of the mold if possible but rest assure if the mold follows the water damage SERVPRO can handle it. We are here for any type of problem.
I found you!
Many people may already know the most common places for mold :
Basements or cellars that have been flooded , underneath kitchen and bathroom sinks, underneath or behind refrigerators, behind walls that also house plumbing, under carpeting that may have become wet, stacks of damp or wet newspaper or cardboard boxes, wallboard , and around air-conditioning units.
But I want to tell you some uncommon places to look.
Chimneys, front-loading washing machines, window sashes and seals, dishes ( yep, if you don't dry them well and stack them up ), books ( that old book smell can really be the smell of mold).
Try to stay ahead of the hiding game with Mold, take a monthly check around the house. In this game it's better not to find the mold to win.