Celebrate Safely This Holiday Season
Did you know?
December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
Pretty lights, candles and decorations are just a few of the items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday season--however, if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightening.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season.
- Place Christmas trees, candles and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents and candles.
- Make sure that light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Always unplug tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Use only sturdy tree stands designed not to tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire--pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains--away from your stove top.
- Designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
If you should need our services please call SERVPRO of Howard County at 410-465-7333. We service all of Howard County. Woodbine, Ellicott City, Columbia, Jessup, Sykesville, Clarksville, and many more. We're always here to help.